Protecting Children in the Catholic Church
The Safeguarding Program is a part of the Archdiocese’s efforts at ensuring the safety of all people within our care. All parishes have Safeguarding Officers who maintain a presence in the parish and are trained as a first point of contact for children and vulnerable adults who are experiencing abuse or have concerns along these lines.
The Archdiocese recognises the need to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults and aims to achieve this through the Safeguarding Program. The program is child focused and informed by a fundamental belief that children have the right to physical and psychological safety at all times.
Policies and procedures have been developed for parishes and all clergy, staff and volunteers who are required to comply with the policy, procedures and practices outlined in the project. The role of our parish’s trained Safeguarding Officers, Wendy, Smitha, and Atu, is to assist you in all matters pertaining to concerns regarding the safety of children and vulnerable adults. They can be contacted at:
Parish Safeguarding Officers
Parish Safeguarding Officers have a responsibility to:
- Be a source of support, advice and information on all matters of safeguarding children and vulnerable adults in the parish.
- Be the first point of contact for children, vulnerable adults and other members of the parish community regarding suspicions of abuse and other safeguarding concerns.
- Respond to all safeguarding concerns in line with the Archdiocese’s Safeguarding Policy and Procedures Manual, reporting these concerns to the Safeguarding Project Coordinator and/or other authorities, as needed.
- Keep the Parish Priest informed of all concerns, responses and activities relating to safeguarding children and other members of the parish community.
- Raise the profile of safeguarding in the parish; ensuring it remains a high priority and report on any issues or concerns in conformity with safeguarding policy and procedures.
- Assist with proactive measures within parishes to safeguard children.
- In respect to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults, ensure compliance with all statutory requirements.
The Safeguarding Project
For further information on the project contact:
Andrea Musulin (Safeguarding Project Co-odinator)
29 Victoria Square, Perth WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 9221 7762
Parent Resource: Protecting God’s Children: A Catholic Parent’s Guide to Keeping Their Kids Safe